About the Company
Established in 1981, our client is a regionally based firm, providing services primarily in the western and southwestern USA from its offices in Fountain Valley. Our client is a full-service engineering and project management firm, with a staff of 220 employees, providing clients a full range of planning, engineering, and design and coordinating services. This includes services in the fields of mechanical, electrical, control systems, civil/structural, pipeline, and fire protection engineering, as well as design, right-of-way acquisition, surveying, construction management, and project management. The primary focus and expertise is in the planning, engineering, design, and management of capital projects for energy, utility, and energy service companies, including Pipelines for Liquids and Gas, Pump Stations/Compressor Stations, Storage and Distribution Terminals, Process Systems, and Oil and Gas Production facilities The company has been developed and defined through the hard work of many long-term professionals with a common passion for delivering excellent client service.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Organizational & Human Development (“DOHD”) will be the first professional Organization Development person for the company. The success of the company depends on its people, its greatest asset. Keeping the enthusiasm and positive attitude of the current staff is essential, as is the ability to assess and develop talent to support the future needs of the company.
The DOHD will influence the brand of the company, how management stretches people, providing the opportunity for professional growth, and creating a place where people want to work. S/he will play a key role now and in the future and will manage Organizational Development, Talent Management, Performance Management, Employee Engagement, and Recruitment.
The DOHD will use a true hands-on approach as well as the ability to successfully monitor the "pulse" of the employees to ensure a high level of talent attraction, development, engagement and retention. S/he will partner with and advise executive business unit leaders in developing and driving organizational design, effectiveness, and leadership development.
Achieving the following deliverables is important, and the ability to coach other employees and managers to meet their deliverables will be the keys to the DOHD success. The most significant accomplishment will be the successful establishment of a respected, effective, and scalable Organizational Development function that will partner with the President and other management to achieve the company’s business objectives and cultivate an environment where employees continue to be inspired to grow personally and professionally. To achieve this, the sub-objectives include and are not limited to:
1. Immediately begin the process of understanding the company’s culture, history, services, and business model by meeting with employees and spending time with the President, executives, and division leads.
2. Within the first two weeks, begin gaining the trust and respect of employees at all levels of the company by providing support, vision, and open communication about the company’s strengths and needs in the Organization Development and people development areas.
3. During the first 60 days, conduct a thorough assessment of the recruiting, training, and development functions to identify needs and priorities.
4. Over the first 120 days, work with management to develop a plan for staffing to support the organization’s hiring needs. Develop and implement overall recruitment and retention strategies to align business needs and growth plans and to identify the type of talent the organization wants to recruit.
a. Lead the development of an applicant interview process that supports business strategy and cultural alignment.
b. Create, implement, and manage a full cycle process for recruiting employees at all levels, from entry level to management.
c. Determine organizational needs, ensure that appropriate job descriptions and forms are developed, identify creative sourcing methods, and implement appropriate measures to track effectiveness.
d. Manage outside recruiting vendors as needed.
e. Begin developing a college and intern recruiting program, or similar idea to develop the entry level labor talent pool.
f. Create and implement an internal job bidding program.
g. Review and revise, as needed, the Company’s employee referral program.
5. Within six months, develop and implement a performance appraisal system that will (1) assess performance and future capabilities of current employees and (2) include a mechanism for identifying high-potential employees and establishing related development goals. Develop related appraisal form(s) that will (1) provide feedback on past performance, (2) set performance goals for future performance, and (3) set personal developmental goals.
6. As needed, partner with leaders to assess, plan and implement innovative talent solutions that address organizational capability gaps and ultimately enable successful fulfillment of business goals and objectives.
a. Provide progressive solutions aimed at helping employees develop and grow their careers.
b. Lead the improvement and delivery of training products and professional development that prepares new hires for their roles and that keeps all employees current with up to date engineering knowledge.
c. Ensure onboarding/orientation programs are relevant and streamlined across businesses and functions.
7. Within six months develop and implement strategies for identification, development and “career-pathing” of targeted groups (e.g., future leaders, critical talent).
a. Identify needs for leadership development and competency development based on workforce analysis, as well as all engineering and technical positions.
b. Begin to develop and build “* University” to provide learning resources, partnering with local Universities and Schools for training and development, as well as identifying and developing internal resources to be delivered for all levels.
c. Provide progressive solutions aimed at helping employees develop and grow their careers.
d. Link talent management efforts with other key programs and strategic initiatives.
8. Within nine months oversee the design and implementation of system-wide succession planning processes, including the development of succession charts, talent profiles, and analytics and reporting. Collaborate with the management teams to ensure successful implementation.
In order for the DOHD to be successful in this position, it is highly desirable that the person have the following qualities and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Master’s degree in OD or related program is a plus!
- 8-10 years progressive experience in talent management or organizational development, preferably in a professional services organization.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal and customer service skills in dealing with top management, all levels of employees and cross-functional teams.
- Strong leader with the ability to work with and influence others effectively – within the organization, at the executive level and cross-functionally.
- Flexible and collaborative, with the ability to change, adapt and grow.
- Needs to be patient, even keeled and thoughtful.
- Hands on, with the ability to flex between strategic and transactional roles and a desire for creating an exceptional organizational development support system.
- Ability to support a strong organization by coaching managers to help them grow and manage in an engineering services and project driven work environment.
- Common sense problem solving with the strength of character to make decisions and/or recommendations to the managers and leadership.
- A passion for personal and professional development.
It is anticipated that only infrequent travel will be required.
The estimated base pay for this position is in the low six-figures. In addition, the DOHD will receive a generous benefits package including health insurance, holidays, and paid vacation.
Executive Search Consultant
Job Reference Number: EHCS-SS
For immediate and confidential consideration, please contact: Kimberly at 714-203-1171 or Kimberly@EthosHCS.com